Shezi Island is located on the northwestern side of Taipei City, which is now the 7th, 8th, and 9th sections of Yanping North Road. It was the earliest active area of Pingpu aboriginal. At the end of the 17th century, the stratum was subsidence by the earthquake. Gradually, Shezi Island accumulated and emerged from Lake Taipei. Once again, it became a fishing and hunting ground to the Pingpu people. Later, people from Tongan County in Quanzhou in Fujian Province of China came to reclaim and formed the settlements.
Distribution map of main houses in each village of Shezi Island
In the early Shezi area, most of them were bungalow buildings. Because of the flooding in the past, they were not suitable for covering the Cob. Most people used bamboo branches to make walls and then coated them with mud, lime-enhanced walls. Mainly, the roof is covered with thatched and straw. Only large households will have red brick and brick houses built by bricks and tiles. In the past, some thorn bamboos were planted on the roadside in Shezi area.it can block the Typhoons wind. Bamboo can be used as a building material, and bamboo shoots can also be used as food ingredients, which is of great practical value.
In the past, the grasshoppers of poor people had walls instead of bricks but bamboo branches and soil coating.
|Names of main houses in each village||Building style|
|Yanlou Lee's House
( No. 2 and 4 of Lane 12, Lane 63, Section 7, Yanping North Road)
|1. The ancestor of the Lee family, whose family name is "Yanlou" in Xizhoudi District, the ancestors came from Linbodou, Tongan County, Quanzhou, Fujian Province in China. During the Qianlong period of the Qing Dynasty, they emigrated to the Taipei Basin.One of them is in Tamsui and the other is in Shezi Island.
2. It has a complete Sanheyuan(three-section compound) layout, with five main rooms in the front, with side rooms on the left and right; its structural features are the red brick bucket method of the outer wall, the lower part of the stone is the foundation, the wooden structure passes through the bucket, and the tiled roof, and the main temple also has wooden columns. And brick columns, it is speculated that this method is to prevent flooding; although the roof of the right dragon has partially collapsed, it still has the architectural features of southern Fujian.
|Fuzhou Wang's House
(No. 11, 13, 14, 15 of Alley 200, Lane 2, Section 8, Yanping North Road/ No. 1, Alley 206, Lane 2, Section 8, Yanping North Road)
|1. The ancestor of the Quanzhou-born Wang family in Fuzhou area. The ancestors came from Gaopu, Tong'an County, Quanzhou Prefecture, Fujian Province in China. According to legend, the descendant Xiao Wang was built because he was diligent and thrifty.
2. The main building is divided into two parts: the front and the back, Xiaodetang is a two-story Sanheyuan layout. The building is made of red brick, and some structures have been renovated (reinforced concrete beams, floor and door leaf). The rear is a street-style reinforced brick. The building (with a veranda) is connected to the upstairs space by two staircases, and the wooden board compartments inside the building still retain the old appearance.
|Hexing Lee's House
(No. 11, 19, Lane 133, Section 8, Yanping North Road )
|1. Two-story building, a famous family of the Lee family in Xishawei area, was built by the descendant Xilu Lee in 1945. When typhoon Geleli caused floods in 1963, nearby residents took livestock to climb the second floor to take refuge together, which is a common memory of the older generation.
2. The traditional courtyard structure is a two-story brick building. Although the main body has been converted into an antique reinforced concrete building, the form of the building is different from ordinary residential buildings. The left and right protection of the side rooms adopts the method of "Ming Jian Au Shou", and related building structures such as light beams, and astringency are presumed to be built during the Japanese rule, retaining the complete structure and texture.
|Zhongji Lee's House
( No. 86, Section 9, Yanping North Road)
|1. The ancestor of the family of Quanzhou Lee family in Fuzhou Zhongzhoupu area. The ancestors came from Dushan, Tongan County, Quanzhou Prefecture, Fujian Province in China, also known as "Lee Zhongji".
2. Established during the Japanese rule, it is a one-story traditional Chinese-style body-guarding dragon dwelling. It is in the form of a triple courtyard with five main rooms and three dragon-protecting doors. Brick-made round truss roof structure, the outer wall is red brick bearing the outer wall, the inner wall adopts a bucket (mixed lifting beam) type, wooden compartment, and the inner wall is connected in series. The Qili shore stone is two steps high, and the floor is a Guanyin mountain stone, with a half-tower, very ancient, and its shape is preserved intact.
Visit Hexing Lee's House
There is still a small attic (half-floor) in the right-handed dragon of Hexing Lee's House; the bamboo basket hanging on the beam in the main body hall is like the refrigerator in the past, and everything is put in it when needed Then take it down and use it; you can also see the old kitchen stove (Ancient stove), you have to burn wood before cooking!
Comparison photos before and after Hexing Lee's House renovation
Visit Zhongji Lee's House
Teacher Mei Fang from the Shezi Island Aesthetic Association explained that the hole in the wall is for kerosene lamps, so that two rooms can be illuminated at the same time, which is a good design for energy saving and carbon reduction. During the Japanese rule, he has served as the Baozheng for more than 20 years. From the main beam, Fuzhou Shan was used to know that it was a large family at that time.
Oil lamp hole
Visit Fuzhou Wang's House
Red bean grandma led us to visit the famous brick tower of Fuzhou (the second half); the first half of the Wang's shrine on the second floor still retained the traditional red brick wall and wooden structure roof; The door is cricket, and the door god is painted.
Ancestor House Second Floor
First floor lobby
Hong's House opposite Fuan Elementary School (Reconstructed)
Mr. Yaoping Hong carefully explained for us the sketches of Hong's House with his own painting. This is the lobby, this is the side room, this is one row and one row, and the back row is a pig house for pigs. Right guard forward). My cousin lived there , and I lived here, opposite the school. At the back there are sloping fences and bamboo fences, surrounded by bamboo, all of which are fenced. In the past, we used to grow bamboo in our country. In the American language, it was called bamboo. I planted a longan tree in my back door. The principal X who lived in the past lived here, lived in my house, and went in and out to the school. There is a large garden inside, and a wall fence on the outside. There is a gate post in the wall. The gate post is very high. It was only demolished in 58 years of the Republic of China to build this whole row of houses and the latter row of houses. I had this house when I was born. I started it when I was 1 year old. I demolished it when I was 40. It was demolished in 1969 to build this house.
National Cultural Heritage DataBase, BOCH. "HistoricalBbuildings" [Online] https://nchdb.boch.gov.tw/assets/advanceSearch
Shezi Island Aesthetic Association."Interview with celebrities in Shezi Island.", 2007.
Center for GIS, RCHSS, Academia Sinica. "Centennial History Map of Taipei." [Online] http://gissrv4.sinica.edu.tw/gis/taipei.aspx
- I found that the previous house was covered with red bricks. Unlike today's houses, which are almost all covered with steel and concrete, they are more solid, but the former houses are also good. They are very airy and stylish, with unique features. Will give people some good feelings. Such as Yanlou Li House, Fuzhou Wang House, Li Hexing House, Li Zhongji House and so on.