Kaohisung Historical Background
Recorded history about Kaohsiung can be traced back to Ming Dynasty. Kaohsiung had two original names; one is Takao, and the other is Takoo. Both of them had been recorded within the documents of Ming and Qing Dynasty. The word “Kaohsiung”was be adopted during Japanese occupation. In the late Qing Dynasty, it was also developed to be a trading port. Then Whistle Bow and Cihou became commercial ports. Since the retrocession of Taiwan,Kaohsiung has gradually been developing into the second biggest modern city in Taiwan.
<打狗地圖> <kaohsiung map>
Kaohsiung Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Historical Background
Kaohsiung had been the main sugar-producing area. The sugarcane fields and the sugar workshops were seen all over Taiwan during Qing Dynasty. Dutch were also rewarded for planting sugarcanes. Cheng Gong Zheng(鄭成功) expelled Dutch in 1662, and started to cultivate land as well as promoted the production of sugarcane. In 1901, Japanese built the first modern sugar refinery in Ciaotou in Taiwan. It was the first sugar refinery that changed from animal-drawn to modernized machinery. Kaohsiung Ciaotou Sugar Refinery(橋頭糖廠) symbolized that Taiwan was pushed forward into industrialization and was also a laboratory of mechanization. Owing to the fact that Taiwan became a member of World Trade Organization (WTO), and the international prices of sugar import were impacted seriously, the sugar business had been stopped in 1999.