Taiwan’s Christian Presbyterian Church started to do missionary work in 1865 during the Japanese colonial era. It is first led by a Scottish medical doctor James Laidlaw Maxwell (1836 / 3 / 18－1921 /3 / 6), who was sent by the Presbyterian Church of Scotland.
Liu-Yuan church, standing for over a hundred years, is one of the Presbyterian Church located in the central district of Taichung, the missionaries still preaching gospel with enthusiasm. They assisted the local residents to solve the difficulties in many aspects of life. Even one century has passed, when the nearby streets become a lively shopping district, Liu-Yuan church still towers in the back of the street, keeping serving people in middle Taiwan wholeheartedly like the first missionary did in last century.