Tsung Sheng Shrine, constructed in 1927 and finished in 1929,is a shrine built by members of the Tseng family in the Hakka region of Liu Dui, Pingtung. The land property is approximately 1.5 hectares, and extends from Ziyou Road northward to the present railway. The shrine was initially managed by the Tseng family appointed committee and was later renamed "Tseng Yu Chen Japanese Land Limited Corporation" in 1941. A second reformation led to the gradual collapse of the management and loss of property. Following the end of the ancestral worship ceremony held each December 11 (lunar calendar) in 1970s, the shrine fell into neglect until 2001 when Pingtung county government designated the shrine as a county historic site based on its cultural heritage value. In 2006, the shrine sustained serious damage due to the earthquake in Hengchun.TO preserve the historic site, 27million dollars was budgeted by Pingtung county government for its requisition. On April 19, 2009, the ownership and management of the shrine was registered to Pingtung county government. Restoration of the shrine was supported through a 72 million dollar funding from the Council for Cultural Affairs in December, 2009 .The restoration started on February 10,2010,and was completed on August 5,2013.
Wan-Nian River, which is in front of the shrine and forms the "jade belt water" in Feng Shui, along with the front half-moon shaped pond and the entrance gate symbolize the God of Dragon to guard the building. Together with the mound behind the shrine, these structures form the complete Hakka architectural arrangement to create a good environment of frontal spaciousness and back support. The shrine is positioned to the north and faces the south with two main houses and two side houses. The horizontal layout includes the central axis, pathways and side houses.
The central axis is the widest, while the pathways and side houses are of similar width. The left and right pathways provide access to western style balconies on the second floor. The side houses are rooms for residence, and the central rooms of each side house serve as the shrines for ancestral worship. The shrine of the left side house is for worshipping the Tseng family's ancient ancestor Yu, the king of Xia Dynasty. The shrine of the right side house is for worshipping Tseng Tien, Tsengtzu's father.
The wooden frame of Tsung Sheng Shrine is the only work of renowned craftsman, Jin-wan Ye, in the late years of his life in Pingtung. The large spanning frame consists of three transverse beams and five short columns, and the ornamental carvings on the short columns are delicate. Colored drawings and murals are made by Bin-ting Su and Hin-luan Chiu from Dabu, Guangdong, Tu-feng Chen from Tainan, and Tsan-ding Huang from Taipei. The original Koji pottery was quite delicate and decorated the Shuei Che Du on the front wall of the left side house and the left entrance. However, the original works have been damaged, and the lost parts are replicated by Chin-lang Kuo and Wei-hou Lin. The ridge of the roof is decorated with the legends of the Eight Immortals Crossing the Sea and Liu Bei's Wedding in the Three Kingdoms Period. In addition, beautiful sculptures of Two Dragons Snapping at a Pearl and Dragon Fish Jetting out Water from the arrangement of hierarchy. Plates couplets and stone slabs in the shrine are written not merely in scale script, clerical script, semi-cursive script and regular script, but also in folk script, bamboo leaves script, bronze script and the variant of scale script. Thus, the art of calligraphy is also an important feature of Tsung Sheng Shrine.