In 1954 Pingtung City Hall planned to beautify the just opened up Ziyou Rd., planting willow trees more than 400 next to Wannian River, and then it formed for decades a green landscape. Even the Pingtung county magistrate Cao Qichang, who had been pushing forward the renovation plan for the Wannian River at the beginning of the 21st century, as long as he thought of Wannian River, world be casually humming the lyrics of Wun Ying yan .The beauty of Wannian River has been deeply rooted in the hearts of the people in fact.
In the 1950s, the river was called Panzaipu River or "Sugar Factory River because the sugar factory cited penty of water of Wannian River, many people thought that the river which run through the city belong to the sugar factory. In 1954, it was reported that some relevant bureau planned to call the river "Ziyou River”. However it had appeared the title of “Wannian River “before t in 1952 according to some relevant files. The name of Wannian River has existed for a long time.
In that beautiful era, the Pingtung City Government even made a new plan, to run a yacht business. Soon, catkins flew in the sky, bamboo shadow swayed. Little boats, and the fishing people beside the stream, the children diving beside Wuyin Bridge and the good memories of the Wannian River bank, all stayed in each Pingtung resident’s heart.