Overview of the Research Project Planning
Plants Can Talk: Come Visit Us in Tianwei
1. Description of "Our Community" :
The Tianwei Township is called the hometown of flowers, which is also the
location of the well-famous Tianwei roadside garden. It was assigned to be the
gardening special district. Therefore, these nearby towns Tianzhong, Yongjing,
Beitou, and Xizhou have also become the main area to grow flower crops and
plants in Changhua County.
Holy Saviour High School is located in Tianzhong Township. Many junior high
schools come from the families in these areas. They know much about this area
and learn how to grow plants and cultivate them since childhood so we should get
to know more about the connotation of culture and humanity within this area.
Panorama view of the Tianwei Roadside Garden
shows a picture taken from the town chief’s office at
Tianwei Township Office.
2. Summary of Our Project:
the features of local specialities to people through
research interview on individual florist cases and field
survey as we walked into the field in Tianwei Township. We
interviewed the local gentry and government officers and
organizations to get to know more about the industrial
structure in Tianwei. We also referred to some literature
for reference to help us put everything together after
collecting the data we need for doing this project —"Plants
can talk: Come visit us in Tianwei ".
(1) Get to know about where the specialties
come from in Tianwei: We visited the next generation of Mr.
Hu Kai-Liang who was the one who told us the story behind
the history of Tianwei Roadside Garden.
(2) Development of Tianwei Township & its Vision: We visited
the Town Chief Lin Wen-Hua in Tianwei Township.
(3) Get to know about what are the flower crops and specialities in Tianwei Township: We visited the General
Director Mrs. Yang Chun-Zhi at her office in the Farmer’s
Association in Tianwei Township and the Director Wu Zheng-Xian
at promotion office.
(4) 1 Day Tour in the flower bed to appreciate the flower
crops and the field survey we held for the interview: We
introduced the feature of production management for agro
specialty like flowers and plants after a group visit.
(5) We interviewed the florist in the roadside garden,
searched for a distribution market, and entered into the
wholesale market for local flower auction: We took it as a
chance to know more about production-marketing relation.
(6) The most gorgeous integrated agro speciality in Tianwei
Township are: the flower sea made of flowers and turfs,
miniature landscaping art, gardening landscaping, and
tourism and leisure park in roadside garden.
(7) Learning through practices and experience: We worked as
farmer in the paddy field to experience how to produce an
agro product, which allows us to work better on this
4. Our Computer and Internet Access:
A. Percentage of students using the Internet at home:
more than 50%
B. Number of workstations with Internet access in the classroom: There are
296 computers situated in 5 respective computer classrooms
C. Connection speed used in the classroom: 2 ADSL broadband lines
D. Number of years our classroom has been connected to the Internet: more
than 6 years
E.Personal device: We go online using Wi-Fi and 3G or 4G mobile device.
5. Problems We Had To Overcome:
We interviewed and held a field survey, checked all literature, and observed
on site. We experience by doing it ourselves, and took pictures, shot the
video, and recorded speech. We discussed together about how to assign the
task to each member and how to present this project by dropping down a few
lines about the framework of our work process.
Finally, we did the post-clipping and editing with a teacher’s guide as if
we were shooting a film to fix our pre-work. We also finished proofreading
the work for the art editing part, and finished doing the web page for this
We normally came across repetitive issues; yet we would have adopted various
solutions to cope with the new dilemma and different points we need to fix
based on different topic. Here’s a list of what we have done:
How We Conquer
1. Some team members joined us for the very first time so
they were not so familiar with the School Cyberfair.
2. There are so things to do to fix the web design, video
editing, and document layout operations.
3. They were more familiar with the tactful interview
1. The teacher introduced the existence of School
Cyberfair, its value, and connotation through briefing. She
also gave instructions on how to browse the official site to
further explore and analyze our awarded portfolio in this
2. The teacher held a 3-hour course to show us how to do the
web editing and video editing. It’s an elementary class
where we learned how to use PhotoImpact and FrontPage or
other software to conquer the dilemma. We used the
PhotoImpact to design our framework of web page, and then we
used the web cutter to transform the file into an HTML
document for web page design. The chief of the Teaching &
Learning Center at school also provided us instant help so
we can receive technical support.
3. After three times of group rehearsal, we run another
5-minutes rehearsal before the interview so we made
tremendous process this time if compared to the last project
1. This project is large in scope so everyone was nervous
about being unable to finish it within the said term.
2. With the previous project reporting experience, the
senior will show the way to the junior because they are more
1.Operation research method & Strategy: collective
action, interpretation of records made in batch files, group
discussion filing, and the rule of every minute counts
2. The teacher let us do our own work this time, and asked
the senior who participated in the project last time to show
us how to do it this time.
1. The team is composed of: 1 junior high students in the
first grade, 3 junior high students in the second
grade, and 4 junior high students in the second grade.
That’s why it is hard to keep everyone in touch.
2. There was a problem when we tried to put everything
together through integrated writing.
3. As for how to assign job for everyone to do the project
summary, we can hardly reach an agreement.
1. Team leader asked every team members to check on the
next day’s work the platform on facebook streamline for this
seminar every day.
2. The teacher showed us how to find solution at the library
in the teaching & learning center. We finally decide to work
on the topic outline, photo, data, and statement to do the
3. The teacher explained that the project summary should
base on the initial introduction, project introduction,
in-depth discussion, practice and experience sharing as its
1. Collect data for the project and learn
how to use it, and how to deal with copyright issue.
2. Is there any photo taken on site that we may use in this
1. The accuracy of data is equally important. When citing from
the reference, we should base on the copyright act, and
point out the source of reference when doing the editing
work. How to fix the introduction to features and the flower
crop’s name? Just keep in mind that these are the data
collected from the academic research institute. We must read
through the text first, and then we may start to write down
the article in our own words using our own knowledge.
Besides, we still need to indicate where the reference comes
2. Basically, all photos taken from the interview are
available for use.
1. Ask the volunteers, the town chief, and the
professionals about how to give them feedback.
2. We feel awkward when we got a refusal from the vendor.
1. The teacher said, “We should do as what the senior did
in their last project. That is, the adults will normally
send out gifts or buy you lunch. So as a student, we can
give them feedback by sending them the certificate of
gratitude on behalf of our school. How to break the ice? We
practiced more and prepared for a handout for the speech in
case of any inquiry we may want to ask.”
2. It’s all about Sociology. We should learn how to fit in
the society and apologize to the person politely before we
1. The accuracy of data is equally important. When citing
from the reference, we should base on the copyright act, and
point out the source of reference when doing the editing
2. The WYSIWYG software is the editing software, which
shares the similar feature as Microsoft word. Once we know
how to use it, we won’t be afraid of it anymore. The art
editor and photo cutting feature embedded in the PhotoImpact
is workable and easy to use. The website management model
embedded in FrontPage can handle any issues from relocating,
changing file name, or changing the link. CSS3 Menu offers a
super powerful software feature for making web page catalog
for free. And it’s easy to use.
3. To get along with one another, we need to show respect to
everyone and be forgiving!
4. Before the interview, it’s very important to get prepared
and run the rehearsal. We took minutes on site by
highlighting the key points with notation line by line.
5. In view of the improvement made last time during the work
process, we asked the parents and teacher who also
participated in the interview to help us with the
photography work this time. Thus, everyone can take a group
6. Construct a platform for holding the seminar to solve the
problem through exchanging ideas and data. Facebook Help
Community is a very useful tool.
7. We still take a deep breath, shut up our mouth, and go
for a walk outside.
Instruction of web design was given by
Director Zhang at the Library and Information Center.
Cooperative Learning& Seminar
6. Our Project Sound Bite:
Be good at one thing and be the expert who
specializes in a particular field to be a pro endorser!
7. How did your activities and
research for this International Schools CyberFair Project support standards,
required coursework and curriculum standards?
Research Project Activity
We did almost everything from writing down the feedback and contemplation
after each seminar held online. We drafted some handouts for the
interview, copied down the words taken from the record word-by-word
after running the interview, and recorded words from our research blog
and post them to the Cyberfair. We did all those writing works. These
are jobs that may require language training on a daily basis. Only with
the training can one be able to write down fluent paragraphs so the
words can catch the attention of online visitors. Everyone has made
tremendous progress in their writing capability during the time of
· When listening to others,
we can tell from the speaker’s posture or emotion on face so we can
interact with the speaker.
· We can first listen to other’s speaking, and then try to think of a
way to respond.
· We can understand the speaker’s intention and his/her perspective.
· We can fully understand what the speaker was trying to say by
listening between lines.
· We can drop down notes for what we've just heard.
· We can record the listening section and take notes systematically.
· When trying to express our opinions, we will respect other’s opinion
first and be forgiving.
· We can use the electronic device and internet technology flexibly to
integrate the message and language content so we can make a detailed
· We can discuss with others and share our research result.
· We can write down our work plan or draft down the item for this
· We can choose from the data we collected and make appropriate use of
· We can understand the everyday English placed in labels and table as
we found in our life.
1. The amount of flower crops
may require quite an area. We need to know how to leave spaces between
sprouts so that the crops can grow properly with enough space to grow,
and can bring people the utmost income they need for economic benefits.
2. We would have to consider the carriage hoist to be hanged, the hanger
rod, and loading issue.
3. We first estimated how much time we may need for harvest, and then we
decided the time to grow plants.
· We can learn from our
living environment and experience what are the estimates.
· We can learn from a certain amount of feelings through a sensory
activity, and directly compare two parallel amounts so we may further
decide how to duplicate the activity based on a certain amount. (Amount:
length, capacity, weight, angle, area, and volume)
· We can classify the data and put them together in words to describe
the reason behind it.
· We can figure out the relation between two number modes.
· We can figure out the life context, which may have something to do
Nature and Life Science &
We understand which element may be required to grow the plant from
watching the sprout to grow into the flower crop. We figure out how to
solve the problem of plant disease, applying fertilize, water, or
sunshine. What should we do to fix these problems? These are the things
we cannot learn from the classroom.
· We can observe things from
different perspectives by using different methods.
· We learned from plant physiology, animal physiology, procreation,
hereditary and genes so we could get to know which the commonality
shared by each living body is, and know what biological diversity truly
· We learn from the relation between industrial development and
technology by observing how the two may interact with each other.
· We know how to observe carefully and think critically so as to obtain
the knowledge we can trust.
· We keep practicing how to act and response to the problem first and
think independently so we can come up with a good habit to find the
strategy we need to think up a solution.
To understand the origin of
flower crops in Tianwei and its roadside garden, we try to learn more
about the humanity and culture in Tianwei.
All flower crops may require a location suitable for its production
plant based on its special demand to boost the sales. For example, the
production plant of the potted flowers was built in the surrounding area
of roadside garden so the visitors can travel easily to the place for
purchasing. For larger nursery-grown plant, only the transportation and
cheap rental land are concerned. Thus, anywhere can be the location of
plant, either in a suburban area of Tianwei or a nearby village. For the
chopped flowers, the flower bed should be nearby the florist’s place. It
should be the top priority because the florist can go to the field and
do the chores easily every single day.
We need to interview the town chief and the general director of the
farmer’s association so we visited the township office and the farmer’s
association. Now we understand their job duties and local affairs after
visiting on site.
After walking into the auction at the wholesale market of flower crops,
we know how it works and how to price the flower crops. We also know
that the wholesale market does provide the contractual business to
· We came to know the history
of Taiwan (such as its ideas, its culture and social system, economic
activities, and political reform) as well as its development through
· We understand the relations between Taiwan, China, Asia and the world
by observing their interactions through the history.
· We analyze the factors, which may form a local or regional property,
and think of a way to maintain or improve it.
· We analyze the natural surroundings and humanity surrounding, and then
we learn from how its interaction could have affected the lifestyle of
· We analyze people’s attitude may change according to the place and
environment they’re in, and learn how it could have affected cultural
· We promote a learning organization in our everyday life (such as the
family, classes, and community we live in), and come up with the concept
of lifelong learning.
· We understand how to control the quality and quantity in the exporting
and importing business by observing a relation started in the
international trade fair. It could have affected the economic
development of this country.
Arts and Humanities
We were inspired by the
potted plant art, assorted potted plant, miniature landscaping, and
learned how to grow plants and decorate them so the plants can look much
beautiful. From the day tour to the flower bed, we are allowed to watch
various flower postures and its beauty.
To acquire the data we need for editing the web page, we learn how to
shoot pictures, the photography skills, and any basic knowledge related
When doing the web page, we use our knowledge of art and skills to do
the web design and editing so our web page can look more attractive and
increase its readability.
During an interview, we mind our words to show how much we care using
the proper intonation, eye contact with smile, and body language. We
learn how to be well-behaved and communicate properly using good body
We can tell from the nature
of a group of people from their emotions. We design topics to show our
care for the society and natural environment, and use appropriate media
and techniques to convey personal value or group value and our emotion.
We develop our unique way to exhibit our thoughts.
· We combined arts with technology and social media to design the school
portfolio when we tried to put our operations into everyday practices.
It does convey a message.
· We keep a good daily habit and interest to appreciate art and know how
art is exhibited.
· We show our willingness to cooperate with positive attitude, and
respect one another, and we can work and be organized to communicate
with others, and we can work as a team to negotiate with the right
Health and Physical Education
We understand the importance
of physical strength during our field survey and one-day tour to the
As for how to possess a strong physical strength, we must do exercises
· We learn how to be
self-assured and know the importance of self-actualization.
· We have come up with a happy and healthy lifestyle, and believe in
life philosophy so we can take further action to fight for what we
During the entire writing process when we designed the web page, we
learned how to use the graphic design software on a computer by using
the clip art, photo editing software, PhotoImpact, Microsoft Word, CSS3
Menu, FrontPage, FTP client, and other technology or software to help us
finish our web page.
· We learn from computer
hardware, software, input and output, and other basic equipment so we
have the very basic idea about how to use the free software.
· We understand which multimedia computer or facility we should use and
choose from all these applications —the graphic app, image app, words,
animation, and audio by putting them together for use.
· We are able to use the internet, multimedia disc, and video disc for
data collection, and combine what we have learned from the hardware to
find the data collection and do the analysis.
· We use the information technology in due time by training ourselves to
be able to do active learning and cooperate with others to learn using
During the interview, we
learned how to train ourselves to get in touch with those we never met
before and be bold. Besides, we can behave in a decent manner when
During the entire process doing the research project, our team members
must get together for a discussion, and do research together. We have
agreed that we must work together by doing our own assignment. We must
think of a way together to solve the problems through collaboration so
we can reach our goals. This partnership has made every one of us become
the best partner of each other.
· We realize the best way to
learn and do research, and to do so, we actually put it into practices
in our everyday life.
· We know what literacy we may need to acquire if we want to join in the
group autonomous activity, and we can see if we can do it.