The currently cultivated mums were produced by interspecific hybrids of
the wild mums from China and Japan.
1. For view only, many people like to put some mums at home during the
traditional Chinese New Year based on the lunar calendar.
2. The Double Ninth Festival has a habit to watch mums and drink the mum
3. A large volume of mums were used in the ceremony of sacrificial
Types of Flower:
1. Classified by the natural flowering (or photoperiodic response), the
mums can be divided into the summer mum, the summer/autumn mum, the
autumn mum, and winter mum based on its diverse flowering phase.
2. Classify the mums based on the number of flowers on a single stem:
For flowers on a single stem no longer than 8-9 cm, most of the time
several buds would be preserved during the cultivation. As a result, one
single stem will have several flowers, which is called the grandiflorum
mums. For those with a flower diameter no longer than 3-5cm, the mums
are also called the small mums. When the flower buds were formed during
the cultivation, the side buds were removed from each stem, and only the
top bud was left with a flower diameter ranged from 9-12cm, which can be
called the big mum.
1.The mum’s flower is a short day plant. If lighting is applied at
night, it may extend its day time. In summer, the black garden mesh
netting is used to cover the flower bed to modulate the flowering phase
by shortening its day time for early blossom, which can achieve its
purpose to grow mum’s flowers all year round.
2. The flowering phase of mums can also be affected by the temperature.
From 10-27℃, the mums will bloom at any temperature. If the temperature
is too low, it may cause a pause in the plant’s growth or hinder the
buds from differentiation. Yet, if the temperature is too high, it may
end up with some problems for a flowering delay or low-quality flower
3. For large-area cultivated species for sales, it requires a 120 days
for its production and marketing cycle. The florists who plant the
flowers should keep a record of all farm works from planting,
electricity cut-off, to the harvest time so that the exact time which
may be required for cultivation and harvest can be counted correctly.