Pre-historical Era
The Lord of Plain
Dutch Occupation
Ming-Zheng Dynasty
Chin Dynasty
Events of Rebelling Against Chin Dynasty
The Decay of Old Castle
The Rise of New Castle

In 1788, the Fongshan County Hall was moved to Xiadopo Street with 3 rounds of thorny bamboo to form a bamboo castle. In 1804, 4 gates were established by county magistrate Wu, Jou-Lin and they were separated into 6 sets, namely the Big East Gate (Zhouyang), the Small East Gate (Tongyi) also called east access gate, West Gate (Jinghua), South Gate (Anghua) and North Gate (Pingsuo). On the northern end to the North Gate, there was a castle called the first gate of county southern areas.   

In the same year, WU, Jou-Lin established the county hall in the castle, totally 50 rooms of all sizes constructed. In 1838, the county magistrate Cao Jin additionally established towers on every new castle gate.  There were also 6 cannon forts established on 4 corners of castle, separately on the northeastern, southwestern, southeastern and northwestern corners.  There was moat outside the castle 4m in width, 3.3m in depth and 373m in perimeter.  In the same year, Cao Jin also renovated the county hall and additionally established a Suexin Booth to measure the canal water volume.

In 1854, the staffing general Zhen, Yuan-Fu established an earth wall 2.7m in height and 0.7m in width.  There was no crenelation on castle top. The length was the same as the moat.  Outside the castle wall, there was thorny bamboo planted.  In 1892, the castle wall was collapsed, Li, Yi-Ho ordered artisans and residents for renovation.

The Fongshan New Castle is now located in the downtown areas of Fongshan.  Despite the almost ruined castle walls, people can still find the remains of the past East Access Gate, Pinchen Cannon Fort, Chenlang Cannon Fort and Xunfong Cannon Fort. Most remains of new castle can be found. The castle shape is rare in Taiwan in an irregular bending form just like an odd-shaped gold ingot. The northern wall was extruded to the northern end and the eastern wall was extruded to the eastern end with the whole shape like a boot. The bending shape building is advantaged with the design suitable for military defense.

The reason why the northern gate extruded to the northern end is because the North Gate is a vital traffic line leading to Taiwan City and this design was attempted to show its' importance at that time. In 1803, Wu, Jou-Lin inscribed a title of “The First Gate of County Southern Areas” on the North Gate.  It is clear to know that Fongshan Castle was exactly the vital traffic and military stronghold town southern to Tainan City at that time. Also, the east extruding design of the East Gate is because it could lead to Xiadansui River and link to the broad Pingtong Plain.  In earlier periods, every gate wall was marked with dragons and tigers to reinforce the splendid design of caste. 

Fongshan New Castle was finally collapsed due to climate and weather attack.  At present, there were only a part of East Gate, the Pinchn Cannon Fort, Xunfong Cannon Fort and Chenlang Cannon Fort under better conditions remained. They are now classified as the 3rd class historical sites.

 

 

 

 

 

Made by Dong-Guang Elementary School, Kaohsiung City, Taiwan. Best Resolution in 1024 x768 Mode
Sitemap Top