The first step to know Taipei Guest House is to know its history.
Built in 1901, the Guest House was used as the mansion of the governor of Taiwan during the Japanese occupation. It had been taken over by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Republic of China (Taiwan) at 1945, and has been functioned as the banquet house receiving national guests.
Before the Japanese built the governor mansion, the first governor Sukenori Kabayama landed on Keelung with army forces in 1895. Kabayama first settled in the old Keelung customs and then leaded the military into Taipei city in the same June. However, the Guest House wasn't the first residence for the governor in Taipei, instead, the old Ching dynasty city hall was where the governor lived in when he first arrived in Taipei. Nevertheless, the traditional Chinese designed house wasn’t comfortable for the governor. And he moved to the former western private school, where the life style suited him better. The governor didn’t forget to have a place treating his guests, he name the former Chinese school next to his new residence as the” Light Water House”, meaning the real friendships between gentlemen are like clear water.